Monday, January 23, 2012

Reality Bites OST (Day 23)

A good soundtrack sets up the mood of the movie it represents perfectly, both thematically and in the ambiance it gives to the listener.  I want to shake the hand of the person responsible for choosing the music for this soundtrack because it works on every level. 

I love the selections of 'Bed of Roses', the Ethan Hawke song 'I'm Nuthin', and the inclusion of Dinosaur Jr.  I had not heard 'My Sharona' in a long time, and every time I do I still think of Weird Al, but there is some underlying appreciation within me of just how good that song is.  I especially love the breakout jam section that is two-thirds through the song.  Personally, I think the song should have just ended there instead of going back to the main beat of the song for another 4 measures or so. 

Sometimes we forget that Lenny Kravitz rocked.  Same goes for Lisa Loeb.  I had to check whether A Tribe Called Quest had a song on this album when the jazz/hip-hop-laden Me Phi Me's track started up.  Juliana Hatfield offers a great track here, as does U2.  It had been far too long since I had heard 'All I Want Is You'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers