Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Grandaddy - Sumday (Day 18)

There are some great sounds on this thing and they start off immediately on 'Now It's On'.  I love the entrance of the eighth-note rhythm and the stutter beats on the drums.  The sound of the solo and the fade-out at the end of the song is great.  I want a CD with that duck quack as the only vocals.

'I'm On Standby' has the best lyrical flow of any of these songs.  The way the words interweave throughout has stuck in my head every time that I have listened to this album.  Sung in their typical sigh-like vocal style, 'The Go In the Go-For-It' & 'OK With My Decay' sound almost prophetic.  Speaking of nice lyrics, I really like the little dragonfly story at the end of 'Lost On Your Merry Way'.  'El Caminos in the West' was my favorite song on Sumday from the first time I listened to the album. That and the how-dare-Limp-Bizkit-try-to-be-more-pretentious-than-us 'Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake'.  Yes, I know what you are thinking... and no, there's nothing more pretentious than a description made up of a million hyphenated words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers