Thursday, January 5, 2012

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (Day 5)

This album starts off with a bang!  The guitar part that introduces the album to the world was literally just that since the first 20 seconds of Bridge Burning was released as a teaser a few months before the album's release date.  It still melts my face off every time I put the CD on for another listen.  But seriously, the song that I can not get enough of is Rope! This song is amazing and has never gotten old or tired despite countless listens. It's classic Foo Fighters.

The album rolls on nicely with Dear Rosemary.  Bob Mould assists with some excellent vocal harmonies.  In fact, it makes me want to pull out my Husker Du - Zen Arcade album.  Maybe at a later date I will get around to listening/reviewing that one as well. 

I do love a nice transition from one track to another - and the move from Dear Rosemary to White Limo works great.  White Limo is a great hardcore track and when I'm blasting it out at work I can not help but wonder if my coworkers share a similar respect for a song that Motorhead would have been proud to have made.  Nevertheless, the rock train rolls on!

The videos for this album are great as well! Rope is awesome in its lo-fi VHS quality and contains the typical Foo quirks I love.  It has all the little things, like Pat Smear's moves while playing his guitar, and the flipping of some 'magic rock-out' switch on the amp before things get heavy two-thirds of the way through the song.  White Limo is a full-on hardcore rock song and the video is hilarious in its 80's parody, and, of course, there's LEMMY!

Continuing on with the album, Arlandia and These Days are solid tracks, but the one that gets stuck in my head for the next hour after the CD has finished playing is Back and Forth.  The album closes with a few more good songs, but none match the infectiousness of the first five.  I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my love for the sound of Krist Novoselic's bass in I Should Have Known.  It's so good and so distinct that it immediately calls to mind Nirvana tracks like Sliver.  The album ends with Walk, which kind of seems like an attempt to replicate the effect of having a solid closer as they did on The Color and The Shape's closing track New Way Home.  Thinking about it, I need to go back and listen to New Way Home.  I'm reminded of seeing the Foo Fighters live in Memphis back in 2000 and yelling for them to play New Way Home only to hear them kick into it a few seconds later - it was an amazing moment for my teenage psyche.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers