Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breeders and Killers (Day 10)

I pulled out The Killers - Day & Age after hearing that they have a new album set to come out (hopefully) in 2012.

'Losing Touch' tells an Entourage-like story in which he tells his girl to "go run and tell your friends, I'm losing touch." There's a nice Sanford and Son horn line that reminds me of 'Bones' from their album Sam's Town.  I'm thinking this song should have been a split single with The Dawes - Time Spent In Los Angeles'.  The second song, 'Human', could have been a Flaming Lips cover song, and I love it for that reason.  The line in 'Spaceman' about his "global positioning system" makes me chuckle every time I hear it, but the chorus is really good.  'Joy Ride' has a very disco/new wave vibe to it, and makes me think that I should be watching Miami Vice reruns right now.

'A Dustland Fairytale' is good in a Sam's Town leftover kind of way, and 'This Is Your Life' is great in all the ways you like The Killers.  'I Can't Stay' sounds like something from the Little Mermaid and I find myself waiting for Sebastian to make an appearance on guest vocals.  I have no idea what he's talking about on 'Neon Tiger', but I (and everyone at my work) loves the song and the crazy lyrics.  It ends up being the one we put on repeat and listen and laugh about over and over.  I love 'The World We Live In' and 'Goodnight, Travel Well' ends with a nice run out on the cymbals and strings.  It fits well with the mood and is a good closeout to the album. 

On The Breeders - Pod, 'Glorious' starts things out with a very chill vibe.  I love the drums on this album, especially on 'Doe'.  The cracking voice on 'Oh!' is a really nice touch.  This song is very Krautrock, with a sound somewhere between Slint and Tortoise.  The album really picks up with 'Iris'.  To me, this album is definitely backloaded with good songs.  'Only in 3's' and 'Limehouse' are especially strong. In fact, 'Limehouse' is my favorite song here, though I'm not sure what she's talking about.  Did she just scream out "TAR BABY?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers