Friday, February 3, 2012

Tortoise "It's All Around You", "Standards" and Willis Earl Beal (Day 34)

I listened to Tortoise "It's All Around You" and "Standards" today to chill me out while I was doing some writing.  As I wrote previously about some other Tortoise releases, I really like everything by this band and find it to be engaging and relaxing depending on how actively you decide to listen.  There are a lot of intricate, neat sound effects and rhythms going on in each of their songs. 

Willis Earl Beal is a breath of fresh air in the lo-fi world.  I love how all of his recordings from "Acousmatic Sorcery" are straight to tape, and how you can actually hear all the pops and hisses that come from recording straight to analog tape.  'Evening's Kiss' is an amazing song that you should definitely spend some time listening to.  His interview for X Factor USA is very insightful and gives you a look into how he approaches music/art.  Check it out here - Willis Earl Beal - X Factor interview

On his website he has written that if you write him he will send you a hand drawn picture or if you call him that he will sing you a song.  I sent him a letter today, so we'll see if he sends me something back.  Nevertheless, I'll be waiting in anticipation for the next release from this artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers