Monday, February 13, 2012

Huey Lewis and the News "Fore" & Pavement "Slanted & Enchanted" (Day 44)

I listened to Pavement's "Slanted & Enchanted" on vinyl (I also own it on CD) and there's something about listening to it in this format brings out the fuzz/lo-fi in full effect.  I love 'Summer Babe', 'In the Mouth a Desert', 'Zurich is Stained', and I like how 'Loretta's Scars' leads off the other side of the record so that I can listen to it at a moment's notice by just flipping it over. This album is so good that I would probably buy it on cassette if I came across it. 

My love of Huey Lewis & The News goes back to some of my earliest memories of riding in the passenger seat of my Dad's car.  The album "Fore" has some great tracks on it.  I didn't know this until recently but the great track 'Jacob's Ladder' that starts this thing off was written by Huey Lewis's brother, Bruce Hornsby. 'Stuck With You' & 'Doing It All For My Baby' are classics and 'Hip to be Square' is so great! Also, another cool tidbit about this San Fran-based band - they had 'Joe Cool' Joe Montana & a few other 49ers do background vocals for 'Hip to be Square'.  Somehow this song didn't end up on their Greatest Hits that they released back in 1996.  That review will come sometime later in the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers